The Struggling Writer

The chronicles of a freelance writer as he tries to make a living.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

No, I haven't quit Examiner

Despite my lack of updates both here and at Examiner, I'm still (in my warped mind at least) working for them.

Memorial Day week both my personal and professional commitments disappeared. I had no pressing obligations so it ended up turning into a vacation week. I got back to everything else, but I've found it hard to get back to Examiner.

My income is still a laughable $0.40 per hour. Examiner didn't seem to care that I wasn't posting because I never got spanked for being a slacker. So I have neither the carrot nor the stick to motivate me. Plus every time I think about posting, I think of that awful publishing tool (have I ranted sufficiently about how much I loathe that insert-your-favorite-expletive publishing tool?) and I find other things to do.

The work is still personally important to me and I really do want to get back. In fact I'm miffed at myself for missing my Father's Day post since I feel the needs of fathers of disabled kids are distinctly different that those of mothers. I'll have to do a late Father's Day post.

I'm going to try getting back this week, but I'm going to be working 12-hour days all week between actually-paying writing and caring for my niece so it's going to be hard to find time for pro bono work. But, as I say every week, next week will be different.

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 10:44 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    Hi,

    We are in need of seo content writers are you willing to write articles for us?

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi there. I just started writing for Examiner. How long have you been writing for it?

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    @Jane Thanks for the offer but I have all the SEO work I want right now.

    @Brent I started in mid-April, though I haven't done much with them lately.

     
  • At 1:49 AM, Blogger Vaudeville of Exhilaration said…

    Hi,
    Sometimes ago,I wanted to be a writer but because I was so confused about the prospects,i stepped back and started blogging.
    Can anything substantially be done through blogging..

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    Blogging can be a lucrative endeavor if you are willing to put in the work. Some people try it expecting to get rich overnight then quit when they realize it takes work.

    To be successful you will spend more time on things like link building and marketing than you will on writing, but that's true of most writing opportunities.

    The last time I peeked in at Absolute Write (link on the sidebar since apparently I can't put a link in a comment on my own blog) they had a big section dedicated to online writing including a forum just for professional bloggers.

     
  • At 10:39 PM, Blogger Thomas Stanhope said…

    Hi,

    I am a freelance writer of the blog, http://www.freelancewriter101.co.uk/ from UK. My blog generally talks about the opportunities in freelance writing, tips in freelance writing, and anything else that helps other freelance writers like me.



    I am currently promoting my blog right now. In connection with this, I have come across your blog, http://struggling-writer.blogspot.com/, through my searches in Google about blogs having relevant contents to mine; thus, I would like to propose a link exchange deal with your blog. I do believe that this action will be very beneficial for both our blogs since it can help improve our web ranks and visitors.



    If you are interested with my proposal, please reply to this partner link offer with your blog site’s title, URL, and descriptions. Furthermore, rest assured that this offer is an effective, cost-free method of increasing blog popularity based on the Google matrix.



    Here are the details of my blog:

    Title: Freelance Writer 101

    URL: http://www.freelancewriter101.co.uk/

    Description: Freelance writing is one of the lucrative businesses that you can indulge within your comforts. Read my blog all about freelance writing and the opportunities that awaits you.





    Cordially,

    Thomas Stanhope

     
  • At 4:43 PM, Blogger Andy Jay said…

    Hey...you know $.40/hour is not bad money....in Bolivia. It's not about the money...it's about doing work you enjoy and that brings meaning to your life...right? (I'm just effing with you Andy!) It is crappy money but things could always get worse...like trying to scrape up a living as a writer in Bolivia!

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I hope you make it man. In the same boat. http://dravenames.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home