The Struggling Writer

The chronicles of a freelance writer as he tries to make a living.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Two new goals

In my last post I mentioned something about making more money this month than last month. Then it occurred to me - that's a great goal! I have to make more money each month than the last month. I know this will get tricky once I start submitting to print publications, since the lag between submission and acceptance can drag on, but I'll re-evaluate later if I have to.

When I first started writing for HTDT I had set myself the goal of writing an article a day. OK, that didn't happen, in part because a lot of the listed topics bore me. I've heard that the best way to make money from them lately is to suggest a ton of articles in your areas of expertise.

I also have the bad habit of perusing writer job lists, bookmarking interesting jobs, then never sending a query.

My basic HTDT goal is a good one, but needs some modification. So my second goal is that each day I will send a query, submit an article, or respond to a job ad.

Time will tell how well these goals work out.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger Andy said…

    If Carson's done nothing else, he's sent ripples through the freelance community as many of us review our goals.

    I'm glad my goal inspired you. I like reading about how other writers motivate themselves, and the more ideas I can find the better. What works for someone else might not work for me, so the more ideas I can try the better chance of a fit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home