The Struggling Writer

The chronicles of a freelance writer as he tries to make a living.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Fellow freelancers

Recently I was interviewed by a reporter doing an article for a small alternative newspaper. It wasn't about me, but rather about changes in Arizona's benefits to disabled children and how that will affect my niece.

She asked me about how I arrange my work schedule around caring for her and I told her I was a freelance writer like she is. And I didn't even stutter as I said it, so I'm making progress. I told her of my usual complaint that it is hard to stay motivated, and she of course has the same problem. It's quite interesting how every freelancer struggles with motivation, even those who have been doing this for many years. It is both comforting and disturbing at the same time.

I had meant to print up new business cards and give her one just because you must always be networking. I don't know if a fellow writer would sympathize with my plight and try to help or see me as competition and throw the card away. Either way, it costs me a few pennies for the card. But I never got around to making the new cards, but maybe I'll do that this afternoon just for future opportunities.

The good news is that I just submitted a new article to How To Do Things that I figure should be approved in a day or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home