The Struggling Writer

The chronicles of a freelance writer as he tries to make a living.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

My first article leaves the nest

I sent off my first article today! You know, the one I queried about back in January *cough*. My turnaround should improve soon...

The article is about how my perspective on euphemisms have changed since the birth of my disabled niece. It was submitted to a magazine about language (I'm guessing I shouldn't say which one until I get accepted). The article was based on a very personal issue, but let's be honest -- the editor doesn't care about my niece. The magazine is about language, not about disability, not about cute kids, and not about personal struggles. In my early revisions I definitely got too personal and the final article was a better fit for their magazine. If I had been writing for a magazine about disability, I would have written it in a different way.

I would, of course, have liked to do another revision -- a combination of "I can make it better" and "But if I finish it, someone will JUDGE ME". I decided this morning that no matter what, that thing was going out today. I triple checked that I had spelled the editor's name right and that I had actually attached the article to the email. For that matter, I made sure they accept email submissions and submissions by attachment, because some don't.

So I meet another milestone. I can celebrate by taking the rest of the day off right? No? Aw, man!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home