The Struggling Writer

The chronicles of a freelance writer as he tries to make a living.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Repeat after me: "I am a writer"

The other day it happened again. Someone asked me what I do for a living. I stammered and stumbled and finally said something weak like, "I do some writing."

Then he asked me what kind of writing. I stammered and stumbled and finally gave a disjointed list of some of the kinds of writing I do.

So what the heck is my problem?

It's not that I'm ashamed or embarassed. I'm lucky in that I haven't gotten that "When are you going to get a REAL job?" thing from people. So why do I stumble?

I guess I feel like I'm lying. I'm not making much money as a freelancer. Without getting into specifics, I can say that I haven't had to pay federal tax the last two years because my income is so low.

But I'm not saying I'm a SUCCESSFUL writer.

But I am a writer. There, I typed it without stammering. With practice, someday I can say it the same way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home