The Struggling Writer

The chronicles of a freelance writer as he tries to make a living.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

I'm back

It's been a while, hasn't it?

Over the holiday break, projects dried up but I still wanted to work. Did I channel that energy into self promotion or something useful? Of course not. That would have been smart and responsible. Instead I spent a lot of time pacing around like a caged tiger. I lost my momentum right about the time the holidays were over and more projects were out there. I wasted a lot of January and it was looking like I wasn't going to meet my "make more money than last month" goal.

But as I started to get my motivation back, I got a bunch of work dumped on me. I just finished 40 short keyword-stuffed articles on job hunting that have left me with carpal tunnel of the brain. But it's a decent amount of money which pushes me past what I made in December, so I'm happy. And there are better projects on the horizon.

I have a lead on an editing project that I'm not sure is going to pan out. I would be editing a very large federal policy document. I've actually done that before and, though not fun, that kind of stuff pays the bills. The problem is that there is a payment threshold. They can't pay more than that amount without putting the project out for bid. I'm debating about whether I can do that for the threshold amount or not. Part of the problem is I'm not sure how many hours it would take and it would almost certainly bring in less than my target wage. But it wouldn't be peanuts either, and it's not like I'm earning my target wage from anything else.

While I'm writing this, I did some Google searches for editing fees. I see anywhere from $5-$25/page or over $100/page for quick turnaround. This job would be well below even the bottom of that range so probably isn't worth it.

Well, the last time I turned away low-paying work I got a new client out of it so we'll see if it works again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home