The Struggling Writer

The chronicles of a freelance writer as he tries to make a living.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Down with the anti-spam witchhunters

You heard me - I'm not sick of the spammers, I'm sick of the people fighting them.

Several months ago I lost a project because my web host decided the client was a spammer. His emails weren't bounced. They weren't directed to my spam folder. They just disappeared. He thought I had flaked out and gave the project to someone else. OK, it was a piddly project, but it was still lost work. Needless to say, I moved my site to a new web host immediately.

Today I have the same problem from the other end. This time my client's host has decided that I am a spammer and bounces all my emails back. At least I'm getting a bounce so I know what is happening. I'm lucky to send one email a day so I hardly qualify as a spammer. I've checked the email blacklists and I'm not on them. I've scanned my server for viruses and found none. There is simply no reason for my email to be blocked. I've put in a ticket to get them to clear me but that could take 24 hours.

In the meantime I was afraid I'd miss my deadline since I couldn't send her my articles. I'm lucky that I had her phone number so I could call her and tell her what is happening and she could provide me with another email address. There's a lesson - always have a backup means of communication.

I will gladly take ten thousand messages about male enhancement over the loss of one dollar of business. Spammers are annoying, but the anti-spammers are quickly becoming worse in my book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home