The Struggling Writer

The chronicles of a freelance writer as he tries to make a living.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Behold the Treadputer

I read an article in the paper yesterday about a Mayo Clinic study involving having office workers walk on slow treadmills while working at the computer. The discovered that, contrary to their assumptions, there was no trouble typing, reading, concentrating, etc. After a day or so to get used to it, they were all doing their jobs normally.

I poked around and apparently it's old news. The Mayo study is from 2005 so I'm not sure why it was in a recent article, unless maybe there have been more conclusions from the study. I don't have the paper here anymore to re-read it. Anyhow, lots of people are doing it. The treadmills run at 0.7-1.1 mpg depending on the user. It burns a ton of calories and these people are losing weight and getting healthy.

Some people build sophisticated integrated systems. Some people just slap a piece of plywood across the handles of the treadmill and put a laptop on it.

I want one.

Here are a few links I found:

1 Comments:

  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Jim Melvin said…

    I have never heard of this before. What an amazing idea. Imagine the ramifications!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home