The Struggling Writer

The chronicles of a freelance writer as he tries to make a living.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Freelancers shouldn't DIY

After my last liquid disaster I had to figure out what to do with the floor in my office. I finally decided to install laminate flooring because it's something I could do myself and save money.

Well, no. Freelancers don't save money by doing it themselves. If you work a normal job, you don't lose income by tackling your own projects. For a freelancer, every hour you spend doing something else is time you should be writing. Not only that but, since I have no freaking clue what I'm doing, it took me a lot longer than it would have taken a professional. So it actually cost me more money than having someone else do it.

It's still not quite done. The floor is there and turned out fairly nice, but I still need to do all the cleanup: putting the baseboards back on, rehangning the doors, etc.

I'm facing the same problem with my yard. I have spend months trying to find someone competent and reliable to come by once a month and tame the wild flora. I've been looking so long I've even given up on "competent". I just want someone who just shows up occasionally. I'm still looking for that. In the meantime I waste time (and money) doing yardwork I despise, and I hate it even more since I'm being forced to do it. And I waste time calling another round of people who won't show up. And I waste time being mad about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home